Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Job Seeking Alumnus Utilizes Campus Resources

By Victoria Hampton '15

Robin Johnson ’09 is a great example of a Pacific graduate who knew what he liked, but didn’t know what he wanted to do with his career. 
“[After graduation] I was unsure. I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my degree. I didn’t have a clear idea,” said Johnson.
Johnson '09

As a journalism and environmental studies double major, Johnson was searching for job opportunities that incorporated agriculture and writing. 

In his first few years after graduation, Johnson worked for AmeriCorps at Pacific and on an organic farm along with writing for a science fiction blog. After hiking the Pacific Crest Trail for five months, Johnson returned to Oregon ready to search for a job that reflected his passion for writing.

What better place to search for some career guidance than his alma mater?

A year and a half ago, while working a temporary job at a dog sitting business, Johnson contacted Career Development Center Director Brian O’Driscoll '89.
“I told Brian I was hoping to focus my career on my writing and he really helped me out by looking at my résumé and helping me beef it up,” said Johnson.

O’Driscoll also assisted Johnson with his interviewing skills, preparing him for an interview at Spotlight, a newspaper in Scappoose, Ore.

Johnson landed the job and has enjoyed writing for a variety of beats such as city hall, crime and community events.

This wasn’t the last time Johnson sought the help of the Career Development Center. 

In June 2014 he will move to St. Louis, Miss. with his girlfriend who is pursuing a master’s degree at Washington University. While visiting the city earlier this year, Johnson met some reporters from local newspapers. After his trip, Johnson asked O’Driscoll to help him network with people at publications in the area. He is now networking with a reporter who works for a bi-monthly publication in St. Louis.

Even though Johnson didn’t have a definite idea of his career focus right after graduation, he wasn’t afraid to explore his options and ask for help along the way.

“I just explored whatever option I was passionate about at the time instead of focusing on a specific career after college,” said Johnson.

He explained that this gave him a diverse background along with time to figure out his ideal career path.
The Career Development Center is a resource for graduates from all years and stages in their career development. If you need help crafting your résumé, finding a job, networking or need to work on your interviewing skills, email careerdc@pacificu.edu or call 503-352-2877 to set up an appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment